Minnesota Dept of Transportation
Over a period of several years, several projects within MNDoT explored many facets of the transportation planning including
– land use dynamics mapping,
– cultural dynamics mapping,
– multi-modal dynamics mapping,
– systems thinking training workshops, and
– an extended project to use dynamic modeling of the District
The modeling project was focussed on the key dynamics of highway building and maintenance operations. The short-term cycles of the work due to seasonal weather were visible, in addition to a memorable conclusion about the presence of a long cycle due to the tendency to put off expensive rebuilding projects.
MNDoT made a significant investment in helping its leaders to think systemically. A great deal was learned by the many collaborators, And we developed a great admiration for the hard-working people of Minnesota.